Lankan Air Force, Navy on rescue mission for fishermen
Colombo: Sri Lankan air force helicopters and naval vessels have been deployed in a joint rescue mission for fishermen caught in stormy weather off the south western coast of the island, relief officials said on Saturday.
At least six bodies of fishermen were washed ashore in the south western coastal areas of Dehiwela and Beruwela and 13 others injured were rescued in the southern coastal area of Balapitiya.
The fishermen had been missing since last night.
Their boats had capsized in strong winds and heavy rains caused by the activation of the south-west monsoon, Disaster Management Centre spokesman Sarath Lal Kumara said.
Several fishermen were rescued by an air force helicopter and an aircraft while the Navy divers off three vessels which had been deployed rescued more.
The Met Department has warned of monsoon winds upto 80 kph in the next 24 hours.
Angry fishermen also blocked the southern coastal railway track to protest, urging the authorities to launch the rescue mission.
The central city of Kandy received the highest rain fall of 148 millimetres while at least 200 houses in the south western district of Kalutara suffered partial or full damage due to gusty winds and rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow