Lankan Air Force, Navy on rescue mission for fishermen
Colombo: Sri Lankan air force helicopters and naval vessels have been deployed in a joint rescue mission for fishermen caught in stormy weather off the south western coast of the island, relief officials said on Saturday.
At least six bodies of fishermen were washed ashore in the south western coastal areas of Dehiwela and Beruwela and 13 others injured were rescued in the southern coastal area of Balapitiya.
The fishermen had been missing since last night.
Their boats had capsized in strong winds and heavy rains caused by the activation of the south-west monsoon, Disaster Management Centre spokesman Sarath Lal Kumara said.
Several fishermen were rescued by an air force helicopter and an aircraft while the Navy divers off three vessels which had been deployed rescued more.
The Met Department has warned of monsoon winds upto 80 kph in the next 24 hours.
Angry fishermen also blocked the southern coastal railway track to protest, urging the authorities to launch the rescue mission.
The central city of Kandy received the highest rain fall of 148 millimetres while at least 200 houses in the south western district of Kalutara suffered partial or full damage due to gusty winds and rains.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured