Lankan citizenship to IDP children born in India during war
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Government has decided to issue citizenship certificates to over 400 children of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) born during their displacement in India at the time of the country`s civil war which ended four months ago.
Two programmes will be held in Vavuniya and Mannar next
week to provide citizenship to over 400 IDP children who were
born in India and do not possess Sri Lankan citizenship, the
state-owned Daily News reported.
The citizenship certificate is a prerequisite for
obtaining a National Identity Card (NIC), which plays a
pivotal role in exercising person`s rights, including the
freedom of movement.
Without this, most IDP children who have returned from
India face difficulties in sitting for examinations like the
GCE -- Ordinary Level and Advanced Level -- for which the NIC
is considered the exclusive proof of identity.
The mobile documentation programme is being organised by
the UN Development Programme`s Equal Access to Justice Project
(EA2J) coordinated by the Sri Lankan Constitutional Affairs
and National Integration Ministry.
It will be conducted with an assistance of the
Citizenship branch of the Immigration and Emigration
Department, Daily News reported.
The authorities, during the programme, will accept
applications for citizenship from Indian-returnee children, on
the production of documents including their Indian and Sri
Lankan birth certificates.
The refugee card provided by the Indian government,
travel documents, and the birth and marriage certificates of
parents will also be accepted for the purpose.
Upon the applications being processed, citizenship
certificates will be issued to eligible applicants within two
months, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani