Lankan citizenship to IDP children born in India during war
Colombo: The Sri Lankan Government has decided to issue citizenship certificates to over 400 children of Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) born during their displacement in India at the time of the country`s civil war which ended four months ago.
Two programmes will be held in Vavuniya and Mannar next
week to provide citizenship to over 400 IDP children who were
born in India and do not possess Sri Lankan citizenship, the
state-owned Daily News reported.
The citizenship certificate is a prerequisite for
obtaining a National Identity Card (NIC), which plays a
pivotal role in exercising person`s rights, including the
freedom of movement.
Without this, most IDP children who have returned from
India face difficulties in sitting for examinations like the
GCE -- Ordinary Level and Advanced Level -- for which the NIC
is considered the exclusive proof of identity.
The mobile documentation programme is being organised by
the UN Development Programme`s Equal Access to Justice Project
(EA2J) coordinated by the Sri Lankan Constitutional Affairs
and National Integration Ministry.
It will be conducted with an assistance of the
Citizenship branch of the Immigration and Emigration
Department, Daily News reported.
The authorities, during the programme, will accept
applications for citizenship from Indian-returnee children, on
the production of documents including their Indian and Sri
Lankan birth certificates.
The refugee card provided by the Indian government,
travel documents, and the birth and marriage certificates of
parents will also be accepted for the purpose.
Upon the applications being processed, citizenship
certificates will be issued to eligible applicants within two
months, the newspaper said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- After China warns India, Baloch and Sindhi leaders hail PM Narendra Modi outside Chinese embassy – Watch
- After Anil Vij, Vijay Goel announces support for Dera Sacha's sports village in Haryana
- PV Sindhu, Sakshi Malik, Dipa Karmakar, Jitu Rai conferred with Khel Ratna award
- Attention cinema lovers, Will Smith was a guest at Akshay Kumar's success party! – See pics
- Six scientists end year-long Mars mission