Lankan minister rushes to UK over travel advisory
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s External Affairs Minister GL Peiris has left for London in an attempt to meet British officials and urge them to withdraw a travel advisory on the island nation, a government official said Sunday.
External Affairs Ministry Secretary Karunatilleke Amunugama said Peiris was hopeful of meeting his counterpart though it was still not confirmed, Xinhua reported.
The advisory stated there was an upsurge in nationalism and anti-Western rhetoric in Sri Lanka and cautioned Britons visiting, working or residing in the country to be extra vigilant at all times.
It also advised Britons to stay clear of local demonstrations, while women moving alone or in small groups were told to be armed with self-alarm devices as there was a steep increase in rape and molestation cases.
Xinhua said the Sri Lankan government had initially raised its concerns with the British High Commission in Colombo over the travel advisory when it was first released last month.
However, the issue went unattended as the advisory was released with amendments a few days later but with the same controversial notes.
Tourism industry officials in Sri Lanka are concerned over the impact the advisory may have on British tourists visiting the country.
Sri Lanka expects more tourists from Britain next year with British Airways resuming flights to Colombo in March 2013.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof