Lankan navy attacks TN fishermen
Rameswaram (TN): A group of fishermen from Tamil Nadu were today allegedly attacked by Sri Lankan naval men while they were fishing near Katchatheevu, fisheries department officials said.
The fishermen from this coastal area had ventured for fishing in 20 boats, officials said, adding, the Lankan naval men allegedly attacked them with ropes and steel pipes causing extensive damage to their fishing nets and communication equipment.
The officials, quoting a boat-owner, said they reportedly even stuffed sugar in the engine of one of the mechanised boats and paralysed it.
The fishermen alleged the naval personnel also seized the catch and warned that they would open fire next time if they were seen near Katchatheevu, an islet in the Palk Straits ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead