Lankan navy attacks TN fishermen
Rameswaram (TN): A group of fishermen from Tamil Nadu were today allegedly attacked by Sri Lankan naval men while they were fishing near Katchatheevu, fisheries department officials said.
The fishermen from this coastal area had ventured for fishing in 20 boats, officials said, adding, the Lankan naval men allegedly attacked them with ropes and steel pipes causing extensive damage to their fishing nets and communication equipment.
The officials, quoting a boat-owner, said they reportedly even stuffed sugar in the engine of one of the mechanised boats and paralysed it.
The fishermen alleged the naval personnel also seized the catch and warned that they would open fire next time if they were seen near Katchatheevu, an islet in the Palk Straits ceded to Sri Lanka by India in 1974.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly