Lankan Navy opens fire in air to warn TN fishermen
Rameswaram: Sri Lankan Navy on Tuesday opened two rounds of fire in the air to warn a group of Tamil fishermen near Katchatheevu, an islet ceded by India to the island nation.
The fishermen told officials here on their return that they left the spot soon after the naval men fired in the air.
However, even after they began fishing near Arichalmunai in Indian waters, the naval personnel came there and ordered them to move further north, they said.
The naval men also destroyed some of their fishing nets, the fishermen told the officials.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees