Lankan panel records testimonies about 1990 LTTE massacre
Colombo: A Sri Lankan panel probing the cases of thousands of missing people during the war with LTTE has recorded evidence in connection with the 1990 massacre of over 100 Muslims allegedly by the Tamil Tigers.
The government-appointed commission during its proceedings in the Eastern Province recorded the testimonies of people about the massacre in Kurukkalmadam, where the LTTE allegedly killed 163 Muslims in 1990.
Officials said that during the fourth round of public sittings in Batticaloa over the weekend, at least 195 people made submissions and 216 new complaints registered during the four-day period.
During the first three months of this year, the commission has held public sittings in Killinochchi, Jaffna in the north and Batticaloa in the east.
So far 18,590 complaints have been received, inclusive of approximately 5,000 from relatives of missing security forces personnel.
The commission has thus far inquired into 462 complaints, which are being analysed for further investigations through an independent investigation team.
Sri Lanka, under international pressure over its alleged rights abuses during the conflict with the LTTE, had set up a commission to probe the cases of thousands of missing persons.
The formation of the panel was a result of the recommendation of its own Lessons Learnt and Reconciliation Commission (LLRC).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Experts hail Indian Army's surgical strikes on Pakistan
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says