Lankan UNP accuses ministers of using `illegal` TV transmission
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s opposition UNP has accused two central ministers of using "illegal" TV and radio transmissions to woo voters ahead of the April 8 general elections.
The United National Party, which did not name the two ministers from Eastern Sri Lanka, said it would take its complaint to the election commission.
"Allegedly two ministers of the East are conducting illegal TV and radio transmissions in the District to promote their campaigns," the UNP headed by former prime minister Ranil Wickremasinghe said in a statement.
"The residents of the area had complained that these channels are operating intermittently," the UNP website said, adding these transmissions are reminiscent of the "illicit and dangerous TV broadcasts" of a Tamil group in the 1980s when they were holding sway over the North East Provincial Council.
The website said the UNP candidates of the Batticaloa district have made these disclosures.
Basheer Segu Dawood, UNP`s Eastern provincial Councillor, will lodge a complaint with the Elections Commissioner on the issue, it said.
"One is a TV channel while the other is a Radio channel, called new Moon FM, aimed to woo Muslims. The other channel is Kalkudah FM, according to the UNP website.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared