Lankans asked to delay visit to Bodh Gaya after terror strike
Colombo: Sri Lankan government on Sunday asked its citizens to delay their departures to Bodh Gaya in Bihar by a week after a terror attack hit one of the holiest Buddhists places in which two monks were injured.
"In view of the situation the pilgrims are warned to delay their departures by one week," the Sri Lankan government said here in a statement.
The Government Information Department stressed that the target of the bombings in the Mahabodhi Temple was neither Buddhists nor Sri Lankan pilgrims, but advised the Sri Lankans not to visit the Temple during next week due to the ongoing investigations into the series of bomb blasts.
No Sri Lankans were reported to have been injured in the series of blasts at the Mahabodhi Temple, the government said.
Thousands of people from Buddhist-majority Sri Lanka visit Bodh Gaya on pilgrimage, the site where Lord Buddha is said to have attained enlightenment or the Buddhahood.
Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa earlier condemned the terror attack.
Bodh Gaya is one of the holiest shrines respected and revered not only by Buddhists but by all peace loving human beings, the statement said.
Rajapaksa`s office said the President had spoken with the chief minister of Bihar, Nitish Kumar, over phone to convey his sadness and condemnation of the terrorist attack.
Nine serial explosions today rocked the temple town of Bodh Gaya in Bihar, including four in the Mahabodhi Temple complex, injuring two monks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown