Lanka`s top judge calls for fair play and justice
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s first woman chief justice Shirani Bandaranayake, currently under fire and facing removal from office, on Saturday demanded a fair play and justice.
"Justice should not only be done, but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done," Bandaranayake said during her first public speech since impeachment proceedings began against her.
She said that no person`s rights should be infringed without a fair trial before an impartial and independent tribunal operating according to fair procedure, she said while addressing the annual meeting of the Judges` Association here.
The 54-year-old chief justice had walked out of the parliamentary panel probing the impeachment charges against her calling the process biased and unfair.
The panel found her guilty of three of the 14 charges in the impeachment proceedings against her moved by 117 government parliamentarians.
The three charges were financial impropriety based on non declaration of assets and conflict of interest in a case involving a failed investment company.
She has mounted a legal challenge against the findings of the panel and has called for a fair investigation.
The panel report would be debated in parliament in January and her removal from office would come after President Mahinda Rajapaksa makes an address of parliament.
The opposition and lawyers` groups have called the trial as one pre-judged to find Bandaranayake guilty and remove her from the office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Lifestyle changes to prevent diabetes can also cut cancer risk: Experts
- Odisha shocker: No ambulance, staff break bones of woman's dead body to carry it on a sling
- Insult to Prophet Mohammad: Dispose off case against Hindu Mahasabha leader in 4 weeks, SC tells Allahabad HC
- SHOCKING! Man beaten to death in Delhi for golgappas - Watch
- RSS questions Rahul Gandhi's remark, demands apology