Lanka`s top judge calls for fair play and justice
Colombo: Sri Lanka`s first woman chief justice Shirani Bandaranayake, currently under fire and facing removal from office, on Saturday demanded a fair play and justice.
"Justice should not only be done, but should manifestly and undoubtedly be seen to be done," Bandaranayake said during her first public speech since impeachment proceedings began against her.
She said that no person`s rights should be infringed without a fair trial before an impartial and independent tribunal operating according to fair procedure, she said while addressing the annual meeting of the Judges` Association here.
The 54-year-old chief justice had walked out of the parliamentary panel probing the impeachment charges against her calling the process biased and unfair.
The panel found her guilty of three of the 14 charges in the impeachment proceedings against her moved by 117 government parliamentarians.
The three charges were financial impropriety based on non declaration of assets and conflict of interest in a case involving a failed investment company.
She has mounted a legal challenge against the findings of the panel and has called for a fair investigation.
The panel report would be debated in parliament in January and her removal from office would come after President Mahinda Rajapaksa makes an address of parliament.
The opposition and lawyers` groups have called the trial as one pre-judged to find Bandaranayake guilty and remove her from the office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister