Large explosion and gunfire in downtown Kabul
Kabul: A large explosion followed by sporadic gunfire rocked central Kabul this evening, in a district that houses several embassies and restaurants frequented by foreigners, though there were no immediate details on casualties.
Police said the explosion happened near a popular Lebanese restaurant in Wazir Akbar Khan, but could not immediately confirm the nature of the blast.
"There has been an explosion near the Lebanese restaurant in Wazir Akbar khan, and gun shots have also been fired," Sayed Gul Agha Hashemi, head of Kabul police`s criminal branch said.
The Afghan capital has often been hit by suicide and bomb attacks, with the most recent incident last Sunday when a Taliban suicide bomber riding a bicycle detonated himself next to a police bus, killing a policeman and a civilian.
Afghanistan`s intelligence agency has claimed to have foiled several plots in the capital involving truck bombs and suicide gunmen over the last year.
A series of attacks in 2013 targeted foreign compounds, the Supreme Court, the airport and the presidential palace in Kabul.
NATO forces are withdrawing from Afghanistan after more than a decade of fighting the Taliban, but negotiations have stalled on a security accord that would allow some US and NATO troops to stay after 2014.
Afghanistan`s fledgling security forces face a difficult year in 2014 as insurgents attempt to disrupt elections on April 5 that will choose a successor to President Hamid Karzai, and as NATO`s combat mission winds down by December.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre