Lashkar-e-Jhangvi splitting into eight cells
Islamabad: Lashkar-e-Jhangvi (LeJ), the Pakistan-based terror outfit with strong links to al Qaeda, is in the process of splitting into at least eight small cells for better coordination from Karachi to Waziristan, a media report said.
"Each sub-group is responsible for carrying out activities in a specific geographic location," The Express Tribune quoted a source as saying.
Individuals having connections within the group and intelligence officials tackling them said the move appeared to be an attempt to outsmart Pakistani`s overworked law enforcement agencies.
"It looks like they (LeJ strategists) don`t want to put all their eggs in one basket," explained an intelligence official.
"It`s a typical guerrilla warfare and urban militancy technique. With scattered cells, they have better chances of survival by diverting the focus of law enforcement agencies," added the official.
The LeJ -- an anti-Shia terror group dominated by militants from Punjab province -- has set up safe hideouts in North Waziristan, an area controlled by the network of veteran Afghan jehadi, Jalaluddin Haqqani.
While there are hardly any significant signs suggesting that the Haqqani network is directly supporting the anti-Pakistan LeJ activists, officials contend the two groups have one strong commonality -- both take pride for being staunch allies of al Qaeda.
The LeJ`s cell for Karachi and Balochistan has been named "Jundullah" but it operates separately from an existing organisation of the same name, led by separatist Iranian Sunnis.
"That`s where intelligence personnel are often mistaken. They sometimes confuse activists from one group with the other," an official in the Sindh province`s Criminal Investigation Department (CID) said.
The LeJ is the biggest group operating in Karachi. Of the 246 terrorists arrested from the city since 2001, 94 belonged to it, according to a report by the CID.
Several small cells operate under the outfit -- Punjabi Taliban -- including those belonging to Usman Punjabi, Qari Imran, Amjad Farooqi and Qari Zafar. These cells generally target Punjab.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly