Launch war crime probe against Lankan Prez: Amnesty to US
Washington: With Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa in the US on a visit, rights group Amnesty International has urged the Obama administration to launch an investigation into allegations of war crimes against him.
Rajapaksa, who is in the country on a surprise visit, is expected to stay in the US for a few days. His visit comes as a Panel of Experts appointed by UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon is working on a report advising him on accountability issues in Sri Lanka.
"The President left the country this morning on a private visit to the US," the Media Director General of the President`s office, Bandula Jayasekara had told local media in Colombo yesterday.
"The United States has an obligation under international law to investigate and prosecute people who perpetrated war crimes and grave human rights violations such as extrajudicial executions, torture and enforced disappearances," said Sam Zarifi, Amnesty International`s Asia-Pacific director.
"Thousands of victims in Sri Lanka demand accountability for the abuses they`ve suffered from the Sri Lankan security forces as well as armed groups such as the LTTE," Zarifi said.
Rights groups have accused both the Sri Lankan military and the separatist Tamil Tiger guerrillas of war crimes in the final months of their decades-long conflict that ended in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!