Lawyer seeks elimination of ISI`s political wing
Islamabad: A lawyer on Tuesday petitioned
Pakistan`s Supreme Court to eliminate the political wing of
the Inter-Services Intelligence agency, which has often been
accused of meddling in the affairs of political parties.
The application was moved by Wahabul Khairi, who named
the President, Prime Minister, Army Chief and the ISI chief as
The application contended that the political cell of the
ISI violated the basic rights of citizens as enshrined in
Clause 17(2) of the Constitution.
Khairi asked the court to take up his application along
with former Pakistan Air Force chief Asghar Khan’s 16-year-old
petition on the alleged funding of politicians by the ISI.
The apex court is set to begin hearing Khan’s petition
Khan has been represented by Khairi in the case related
to the ISI`s alleged role in disbursing money among
politicians in the 1990s to build a coalition opposed to the
Pakistan People`s Party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui