Leaked Osama bin Laden report reveals Pakistan`s failures
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: A leaked government report throwing light on slain al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden`s life on the run in Pakistan and details of US Navy SEALs raid at his Abbottabad house, emerged on Tuesday.
In a scathing attack on the Pakistani establishment, a government report has blamed "incompetence at almost all levels of government” for al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden’s undetected presence in the country for nine years.
A copy of Abbottabad Commission Report that was leaked to al-Jazeera, categorically accuses the government officials of “gross incompetence” that allowed Osama to stay in the country without being noticed.
"Culpable negligence and incompetence at almost all levels of government can more or less be conclusively established," the report concludes.
The report also lashes out harshly on US raid calling it a ‘criminal act of murder’ and "greatest humiliation" since East Pakistan seceded in 1971.
On allegations of Pakistani officials` complicity in CIA tracking Osama in Pakistan, the report said that though it had found nothing to support the claims, the possibility of `plausibly deniable` support from current or former officials couldn`t be ruled out.
"For an institution such as the ISI (intelligence agency), negligence and incompetence are far more serious charges than possible connivance by rogue elements," the report said.
The 336-page classified report that was published by the al-Jazeera on Monday, is based on the accounts of over two hundred people, that include government and political officials.
The report also contains the testimony from Osama’s three wives, detailing on the night of raid.
Osama was killed on May 2, 2011 in a covert raid conducted at his Abbottabad house by US Navy SEALs.
The report reveals how Osama stayed in Pak for nine years, hopping from house to house and also fathered four children.
The Abbottabad Commission Report details how the US tracked bin Laden to his door in Abbottabad house.
The first major breakthrough to CIA came in 2002 with the arrest of Khalid Bin Attash, an Al Qaeda member involved in several pre 9/11 attacks.
According to the report, Attash identified Abu Ahmed Ali Kuwaiti, Osama`s right hand man, who was with his family in Karachi in October 2001 and later moved to Peshawar, where Osama joined them in mid-2002.
The report confirms that Osama reached Pakistan by mid-2002 and was based in the Swat Valley before moving to the town of Haripur.
Osama stayed in Haripur till 2005 and waited there till his house was built in Abbottabad.
The report also reveals some interesting titbits from life of the world`s most wanted man.
According to the report, a young girl that lived in Osama`s Abbottabad compound, called him "miskeen baba" (miskeen means poor in urdu). It is said that the girl was told by Osama`s courier that Bin Laden was poor enough to go to a local market to buy anything.
According to the testimony provided by Osama`s widows, the Qaeda leader lived quiet frugally with only six pairs of Pakistani outfits.
The report also reveals how Osama often wore a cowboy hat to avoid detection from he skies, while roaming in his Abbottabad compound.
According to another incident accounted in the report, Osama was once stopped by a traffic cop for over speeding, but he managed to escape without being captured.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...