Legislation introduced in US to freeze financial aid to Pak
Washington: A legislation has been introduced in the US House of Representatives which if passed would cut aid to Pakistan unless the State Department can certify that Islamabad was not harbouring slain al Qaeda chief Osama bin Laden.
"Osama bin Laden has met his maker, and we appreciate the Navy SEALs for arranging the meeting, but Pakistan gives us some concern. It seems like Pakistan might be playing both sides, and they have a lot of explaining to do," Texas Republican Ted Poe said in his remarks on the floor of the House after introducing the bill.
"For all these years, we believed that Osama bin Laden was on the run, living in a cave; but, apparently, Satan`s Pawn has been living for years in a million-dollar compound just yards away from a Pakistani military base, but Pakistan claims no knowledge of Osama bin Laden`s whereabouts. I just don`t buy it," Poe said.
Poe said he has introduced a bill that would require Congress and the American people to get a full understanding of what Pakistan knew about bin Laden`s whereabouts and when they knew it, before US give them anymore American money.
"Congress has already appropriated USD 3 billion in aid to Pakistan for this year; and unless Pakistan can prove that they were not providing sanctuary for America`s number one enemy, they should not receive any American aid," he said.
Poe serves on the House Foreign Affairs and Judiciary Committees. He is the vice chair of the Foreign Affairs Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations as well as the Subcommittee on Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade.
He also serves on the Judiciary Subcommittee on Crime, Terrorism and Homeland Security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- Ageing is not bad at all, Sushmita Sen explains why!
- Open spaces in Delhi, NCR could be used by anti-national elements, say security agencies
- BSEB Bihar Board Intermediate Result 2016: Bihar Board Intermediate Class 12 XII Arts Results, BSEB 12th Inter Results 2016, Bihar Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be declared on May 25
- Spectrum cost very high in India, says Sistema
- LeEco set to boom exciting offers on Flipkart's 'Big Shopping Days' sale