`Legislation necessary to curb religious discrimination in Pak`
Karachi: Religious discrimination and acts like forced conversion of Hindu girls in Pakistan should be declared as crimes against humanity and legal action should be taken to curb it, speakers at a consultation on minority rights have said.
The speakers who attended the ceremony on `Religious Minority and Human Rights: Democratic Process and New Opportunities`, underlined the need for formulation of laws to end discrimination against oppressed sections including non-Muslims in the Pakistani society, reports the Daily Times.
Minority candidates, who contested in the Elections-2013 from general constituencies in Sindh, civil society activists, human rights activists, media persons and members of minority groups, participated in the discussion.
They shared their experiences during the recent elections, gave input on the electoral process, problems faced by the minority voters, and manipulation of results by influential.
Michel Javed said not a single political party had given tickets to women belonging to minority communities on reserved seats for women during the elections. He suggested fixing reserved seats for women of religious minority.
The other participants said that in Tharparkar and Umerkot districts voters were stopped from polling. Certain landlords forcefully collected their CNICs and stopping them from voting, they said.
They also regretted that there is almost 100 percent illiteracy among the marginalised minoritiesin rural Sindh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand