Legitimate polls vital to partnership with Afghan Govt: US
Washington: Amid reports of fraud and rigging in Afghanistan Presidential elections, the US Wednesday said allegations of fraud need to be acted upon and made it clear that a legitimate electoral process is vital to any kind of partnership with the new government there.
Noting that the results of these elections need to be credible, State Department spokesman Ian Kelly stressed the need for having a rigorous vetting of all of these allegations of fraud.
"A legitimate electoral process is vital to us and vital to any kind of partnership that we would have with the government going forward," he said, but was quick to add that
the entire process hasn`t played out yet.
"We are calling on all the different actors out there, the political institutions, to show patience. And we are not going to pronounce our analysis of the election until the
whole process has played out," he said.
Meanwhile, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, spoke over phone the US Ambassador to Afghanistan Karl Eikenberry on issues of US national interest. Eikenberry also had a meeting with Afghan President Hamid Karzai in Kabul yesterday, though not much details of it were available.
"We need to have an election that reflects the will of the Afghan people, and all these allegations of fraud need to be acted upon," he said.
Kelly said it is very important that these elections are seen as legitimate in the eyes of the Afghan people and in the eyes of the international community.
"I am not going to prejudge where this whole thing comes out. It is not going to be a matter of days or weeks; it could be a matter of months to sort out all of these
allegations," he said.
Responding to a question, Kelly said: "We are not going to prejudge how it comes out or prejudge what kind of measures they might take to address these problems."
The Obama Administration wants to see an election that is reflective of the will of the Afghan people, and have a partner in place that it can work with that enjoys the support
of the people.
"And that`s why this process needs to be rigorously followed," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in