LeJ claims responsibility for attack on pilgrims
Islamabad: The banned Lashkar-e-Jhangvi has claimed responsibility for a suicide attack on a bus that killed 13 people, most of them Shia pilgrims returning from Iran, in Pakistan`s Quetta city even as police rounded up about two dozen suspects on Friday.
Lashkar-e-Jhangvi spokesman Abu Bakar telephoned journalists in Quetta, the capital of Balochistan province, to claim responsibility for yesterday`s attack.
He said the attack was carried out in retaliation for the recent bombing of a madrassa and a Tablighi Jamaat centre in Quetta.
Balochistan Home Secretary Naseebullah Bazai confirmed to the media that the attack was carried out by a suicide bomber.
The attacker rammed his explosives-laden vehicle into the bus that was carrying Shia pilgrims returning from Iran.
Two policemen escorting the pilgrims were among the dead.
Police said they had arrested about two dozen suspects during raids in different parts of Quetta.
Balochistan has become a flashpoint for sectarian and ethnic violence.
In several recent attacks, suspected LeJ militants have stopped buses, separated members of the minority Hazara Shia community from other passengers and gunned them down in cold blood.
Shia groups observed a strike today to mourn those who died in yesterday?s attack and markets across Quetta remained shut.
Responding to a call from the Hazara Democratic Party, businessmen and traders kept their establishments closed.
Contingent of police and Frontier Corps were deployed in sensitive areas of Quetta to maintain law and order.
No incident of violence was reported during the strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!