Li hails Pakistan as China`s `iron brother`
Beijing: Describing Pakistan as the "iron brother" of China, Premier Li Keqiang on Tuesday hailed Islamabad`s "positive contribution" towards maintaining peace and stability, combating terrorism and promoting development in South Asia.
Heading to Pakistan on Wednesday after his successful visit to India, Li promised to announce a number of lucrative deals to firm up `all-weather` ties between the two long-time allies.
Li termed Pakistan as an "iron brother" of China saying Beijing recognised the positive contribution Pakistan has made for peace and stability, combating terrorism and promoting development in South Asia, in an interview with Pakistani media ahead of his visit.
"The international community should give Pakistan full understanding, recognition and necessary support," official Associated Press of Pakistan news agency quoted him as saying.
"On behalf of the Chinese government, I wish to reiterate solemnly China`s continued firm support to Pakistan in its efforts to uphold independence, sovereignty and territorial integrity and achieve national stability and development.
This is what China-Pakistan comprehensive strategic partnership of cooperation is all about," he said.
During his two-day stay in Islamabad, Li will hold talks with PML-N leader Nawaz Sharif who is set to form the next government, besides President Asif Ali Zardari.
He will also meet leaders of Pakistan`s parliament, political parties and armed forces, officials here said.
About all-weather ties between the two countries, Li said "China-Pakistan relationship is indeed special, because it transcends the changes of the times and politics and represents a fine example of friendly state-to-state interactions".
"I wish to take this opportunity to reiterate to the Pakistani people and the international community that the new Chinese government will continue to pursue a policy of friendship with Pakistan," he said apparently playing down the significance of China`s interest in cultivating close ties with India, Pakistan`s arch-rival.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results LIVE: BJP registers emphatic win; PM Narendra Modi says it's a great start to 2017
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17