Libya`s Bangla envoy resigns

Libya`s ambassador to Bangladesh, AH Elimam quit his official position.

Updated: Feb 22, 2011, 22:42 PM IST

Dhaka: Libya`s ambassador to Bangladesh
quit his official position, apparently as a reaction to the
violence back home, joining a number of other officials to
defect from the Muammar Gaddafi`s government.

Bangladesh Foreign Secretary Mijarul Quayes said today
that Libyan ambassador to Bangladesh, A H Elimam, had informed
the government in Dhaka of his decision to resign from his
position, confirming an earlier report.

He, however, said Elimam did not cite any reason for
his resignation and added that the second man in the embassy
would discharge his duties.

Officials had earlier said the envoy informed the
foreign office in Dhaka about his decision yesterday.

Media reports earlier suggested Elimam decided to give
up his loyalty to the Gaddafi regime as several of his
relatives were killed in government actions against protestors
in recent days.

A number of officials of the Libyan regime, including
the country`s ambassador to India and its envoy to the
22-member Arab League have already quit in protest of the
violent crackdown launched on the protesters by the government
in Tripoli and elsewhere.

Libya`s envoys at the United Nations have also accused
him of committing genocide.

Bangladesh, meanwhile, said it will evacuate its
nationals from the troubled Benghazi city of Libya, which is
witnessing a massive pro-democracy upsurge over the past week.

"We have planned to evacuate our nationals from
Benghazi, currently the most troubled city of Libya... in fact
the process has started already," Foreign Minister Dipu Moni
told a group of newsmen at her office here today.

She said Dhaka was closely observing developments in
Libya and keeping constant contact with its mission in, while
talks were underway with the concerned international
organisations for emergency activities like evacuation.

Expatriates Welfare and Overseas Employment Minister
Mosharraf Hossain at a briefing later said the government took
"all necessary measures to ensure security of Bangladeshi
workers" in Libya and other Middle Eastern nations.

"There is nothing to panick. If needed, UN assistance
would be sought," he told the press briefing at his office at
Bangladesh Secretariat.

He said the government is trying to contact the Libyan
authorities through the official channel following the
publication of a report in newspapers that 100 Bangladeshis
have been kept hostage in a community centre in Benghazi.

Foreign Secretary Quayes ruled out reports that
Bangladeshis were taken hostage, saying according to the
"last information we received, all Bangladeshis in Libya are
in a safe state, none were injured or kept hostage".

Hossain said the Bangladesh mission opened a control
room to take measures for security of 60,000 expatriate
Bangladeshis and monitor their conditions, while his office
was also in contact with the overseas recruiting agencies.

PTI