Islamabad: Pakistan on Thursday said it was
"preposterous" to link the ISI to the Mumbai attacks, a day
after a US court issued summons to the powerful spy agency`s
chief and others in connection with the 2008 carnage.
Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said Pakistan was
was committed to bringing the perpetrators of the carnage to
justice as India prepares to observe the second anniversary of
the carnage unleashed by 10 LeT terrorists on the country`s
financial capital tomorrow.
"The trial of the seven accused in the Mumbai attacks
is underway in Pakistan. We are committed to bring the
perpetrators of the Mumbai terror attacks to justice. So
dragging the ISI into this in any manner is preposterous," he
Basit was responding to a question at the weekly news
briefing on the summons issued by a US court to senior ISI
officials, including its chief Lt Gen Ahmed Shuja Pasha, and
Mumbai attacks masterminds Hafiz Saeed and Zakiur Rahman
The summons were issued by a US judge in response to a
lawsuit filed by relatives of two American nationals who were
killed in the attacks.
Basit said Pakistani authorities had learnt about the
summons issued to officials of intelligence agencies and other
persons through the media.
The trial of seven Pakistani suspects, including
Lashker-e-Taiba operations commander Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi, by
an anti-terrorism court in Rawalpindi has been marred by
repeated delays and controversies since it began early last
The judge has been changed thrice and only one out of
over 160 witnesses has testified so far in the court.
The court is also yet to decide on a petition filed by
the government to allow a commission to visit India to
interview key witnesses, including Ajmal Kasab, the lone
surviving Mumbai attacker.