Local Afghan government officials killed in south
Kabul: A local government official has been assassinated in southern Afghanistan — the third official killed in Helmand province in a week.
The governor`s office in Helmand says two gunmen on a motorcycle fired at a member of the Nawa district council on Tuesday evening in Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital. The councilman was rushed to a hospital but died of his wounds.
Insurgents have responded to heavy pressure from US and NATO coalition forces by targeting officials and others aligned with the Afghan government.
In two incidents on Sunday, militants killed a councilman and chief prosecutor from Gereskh district.
On Friday, a man with a bomb hidden in his turban blew himself up outside the Helmand governor`s compound. One policeman was injured in the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH