Local Afghan government officials killed in south
Kabul: A local government official has been assassinated in southern Afghanistan — the third official killed in Helmand province in a week.
The governor`s office in Helmand says two gunmen on a motorcycle fired at a member of the Nawa district council on Tuesday evening in Lashkar Gah, the provincial capital. The councilman was rushed to a hospital but died of his wounds.
Insurgents have responded to heavy pressure from US and NATO coalition forces by targeting officials and others aligned with the Afghan government.
In two incidents on Sunday, militants killed a councilman and chief prosecutor from Gereskh district.
On Friday, a man with a bomb hidden in his turban blew himself up outside the Helmand governor`s compound. One policeman was injured in the blast.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets