‘Long term support to Pakistan in America`s interest’
Washington: Providing long term support to Pakistan and helping the country to become a strong economy and stable democracy is in the interest of the United States, the Obama administration has said.
"We want to launch a partnership with Pakistan, and this is because this is in our national security interests to do this," State Department spokesman Ian Kelly told reporters referring to the opposition inside Pakistan against the Kerry-Lugar bill.
Passed by the US Congress last week, the bill triples civilian assistance to Pakistan to USD 7.5 billion in the next five years; but imposes conditions on it in lieu of the military aid.
"I think that we need to perhaps communicate better about what this bill entails. The bill does have some certification and monitoring requirements that are common for these kinds of assistance bills," Kelly said.
"There are assistance bills for other countries as well. I know that the assistance bill for aid to Egypt and the assistance bill for aid to Colombia also have these similar kinds of certification requirements, and this is all in the name of accountability," he said.
"It`s something that the Legislative Branch levies on the Executive Branch. This is the Legislative Branch imposing conditions on us to certify that certain actions are taking place," he added.
Kelly, however, welcomed the debate going on in the Pakistani Parliament on this issue. "We want to be very open and transparent about what this bill does and doesn`t do. I mean, there`s no secret annex to this bill," he asserted.
"We welcome this kind of debate. It doesn`t necessarily imply the debate is over and that anybody has rejected our proposal," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks