Low caste Hindus in Pakistan demand land for burial
Rawalpindi: Low caste Hindus, who bury their dead, unlike the upper caste Hindus who cremate them, have requested municipal officials in Rawalpindi to provide land for the burial of their dead.
While City District Government Rawalpindi (CDGR) officials claim that they have already provided two burial sites, the Hindu community said the sites are full to capacity and there are issues with security, reports The Dawn. The most contentious is the site near Benazir Bhutto International Airport area.
According to the Hindu community, they avoid burying their dead in the locality because of security concerns, as a Pakistan Air Force base is located next to the airport. Upper caste Hindus have offered low caste Hindus to cremate their dead at their cremation ground but would not allow them to bury there as space was limited.
A senior member of the Hindu community, Pandit Lal, said low caste Hindus are poor and hence will not be able to purchase land for their graveyards. Pakistan Hindu-Sikh Social Welfare Council president Jag Mohan Kumar Arora said in Hindu religion, the corpse of a saint and children below a particular age are buried.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...