LTTE demands inquiry into Pathmanathan`s arrest
Colombo: LTTE on Sunday asked the international
community to intervene and investigate how their new leader
Selvarasa Pathmanathan was detained in Malaysia and flown to
Sri Lanka for questioning and ensure his safety and security.
"If the Government of Malaysia (from where Pathamathan
was reportedly arrested) does not have any information on the
matter, we demand an inquiry into the whole episode," a
statement from the now defunct LTTE said.
"If Pathmanathan has been brought to Colombo, as
claimed by the Government of Sri Lanka, we call upon the
international community to become involved in this matter in
order to assure the safety and security of Pathmanathan
according to international standards, and to facilitate access
to legal representation," it said.
Selvarasa Pathmanathan better known as KP, who
controlled a vast network that supplied arms to LTTE for
nearly three decades, was arrested in a South East Asian
nation on Wednesday and brought to Colombo the following day.
The statement said in the case of Pathmanathan`s
"abduction the rule of law has once again been violated by
international actors with respect to Tamils."
"The proper procedure would have been to secure the
extradition of Pathmanathan if he had broken any law, rather
than taking action outside the law," the statement said.
The statement issued by LTTE "coordinator"
Visuvanathan Rudrakumaran said the Government of Malaysia
should announce the details surrounding the abduction of
Pathmanathan, if he was indeed abducted with the help of its
It said Pathmanathan "has been leading the new
politico diplomatic path of the LTTE in recent months".
"Some media reports suggest that Pathmanathan has been
abducted in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Based on information
collected through various sources within the Tamil community,
including sources close to the LTTE, we suspect that the
‘abduction’ has taken place at the Tune Hotel in Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia," the statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional