Lynching of youth shocks Pakistan; SC intervenes
Lahore: The lynching of two youth by a
mob in the presence of policemen in Pakistan`s central Punjab
province has prompted the Supreme Court Chief Justice to order
authorities to take stern action against the killers.
Civil society groups and the media have expressed
concern about the incident that occurred in Sialkot district
on August 15, saying it reflected the "growing intolerance" in
Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry took
suo moto notice of the incident after TV news channels beamed
shocking footage of the youths Hafiz Mughees, 21, and his
brother Hafiz Muneeb, 16 being beaten to death by a group of
men armed with sticks and rods.
Sialkot district police chief Waqar Chauhan, eight
other policemen and hundreds of people watched the lynching.
The video aired by news channels showed that the
youths were hit repeatedly by some men.
The mob later hung the bodies of the brothers upside
down in a square.
According to a First Information Report filed by
police, the brothers were going to meet their relatives in
Buttar village when some people caught them and accused them
of being robbers.
In a brazen display of mob justice, they tortured the
brothers, killed them and then hung their bodies and tried to
The family of the youths has demanded justice and
stern legal action against police officials who failed to
rescue the brothers.
The family said the youths were killed in the wake of
a dispute over a cricket match they played some time ago.
The Deputy Commissioner of Sialkot said a charged mob
killed the two brothers for injuring four people in a dispute
over a cricket match.
Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry ordered Anti-
Corruption Director General Justice (retired) Kazim Malik to
investigate the matter.
"No one will dare to take the law into his own hands
if police had the courage and command to eradicate such brutal
and inhuman practices from society," Chaudhry said while
heading a bench that heard the suo moto case yesterday.
The atmosphere in the apex court became tense when the
gruesome video of the killing of the brothers was shown in the
When district police chief Chauhan informed the court
that Station House Officer Rana Mohammed Ilyas had been
arrested but the killers were yet to be detained, the Chief
Justice said Chauhan deserved to be suspended and sent to
The negligence shown by police could not be ignored,
the Chief Justice observed.
Pakistan is already facing natural disasters and
crisis with people dying of hunger but police were indulging
in extra-judicial killings, Chaudhry said.
District police chief Chauhan and the SP
(investigation) have been removed from active duty on the
Chief Justice`s orders and a case has been registered against
14 policemen and 17 other people.
Nine of them have been arrested so far.
Gujranwala`s Deputy Inspector General of Police
Zulfikar Cheema told reporters today: "It`s an act of gruesome
murder. It cannot be justified. All those involved in this
gruesome murder will be arrested and legal proceedings
initiated against them".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm