Maj Gen Bajwa named Pak military`s chief spokesman
Islamabad: Maj Gen Asim Saleem Bajwa, a former commander of the 111 Brigade that has played a key role in past military coups, has been named the Pakistani military`s new chief spokesman.
Bajwa will take over as Director General of the Inter-Services Public Relations when Maj Gen Athar Abbas retires in June, media reports said.
Bajwa was moved by Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani to the media arm after a stint as a commander at Wana in the insurgency-hit tribal belt.
While serving as former army chief Pervez Musharraf`s staff officer, Bajwa assisted the military ruler in writing his book "In The Line of Fire."
Bajwa was commissioned in March 1984 in the Punjab Regiment and has commanded 34 Punjab Regiment and 111 Brigade.
His appointment as chief military spokesman was part of a reshuffle of several two-star Generals in the Pakistan army.
Maj Gen Mazhar Jameel of the Pakistan Military Academy was appointed Vice Chief of General Staff while Maj Gen Sadiq Ali of the Armoured Division was appointed Commandant of the PMA.
Maj Gen Nadir Zeb, chief of the Frontier Corps, was appointed the Director General of Human Resource Development while Maj Gen Asif Khattak was moved from the ISI in Quetta to Log Area in Gujranwala.
Maj Gen Ghayyar Mehmood was named the new chief of the Frontier Corps.
Maj Gen Farukh Bashir, General Officer Commanding of SSGC, was appointed head of the Defence Security Guards while Maj Gen Hidayatur Rehman was appointed GOC of 14 Division.
Maj Gen Obaid Zikria was appointed Commandant of the EME College and Maj Gen Tariq Jawaid was named Vice Chief of Logistic Stocks.
A second reshuffle, including the promotion of four Major Generals to the rank of Lieutenant General, is expected to take place next week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections