Major terror attack bid foiled in Karachi: Pak police
Karachi: With the killing of a terrorist and seizure of explosive material and suicide jackets, the Pakistan police on Sunday claimed to have thwarted a major terror plot to attack the Muharram processions in Karachi.
Acting on creditable information, police team raided a house in Manghopir area where they were engaged in a gunfight by a terrorist, Inspector General, Sindh, Fayyaz Leghari told reporters.
"The terrorist was killed and we seized large amounts of explosive material, two suicide jackets and grenades.
"It appears that the terrorists were planning to carry out attacks by joining the Muharram processions today," he said.
Leghari said further investigations were being carried out in the matter.
Some suspects might have escaped and they could be behind the Abbas Town bombing which killed two people last week, the police official said.
Security was on high alert for the Muharram and Ashura processions in Karachi as around 40,000 police and paramilitary rangers patrolled the city.
Late last night, police had recovered and disarmed a bomb found near Safora Goth area on a road which is usually used for Muharram processions.
Meanwhile, federal minister for religious affairs, Syed Khursheed Shah has said that the Tehreek-e-Taliban were behind the insurgency and violence in Karachi.
Shah said that Talibanisation has raised its head in Karachi and the government is trying to curb it.
Taliban is involved in Karachi unrest, he said adding, these are not the activities of any political party activists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers