Major terror attack bid foiled in Karachi: Pak police
Karachi: With the killing of a terrorist and seizure of explosive material and suicide jackets, the Pakistan police on Sunday claimed to have thwarted a major terror plot to attack the Muharram processions in Karachi.
Acting on creditable information, police team raided a house in Manghopir area where they were engaged in a gunfight by a terrorist, Inspector General, Sindh, Fayyaz Leghari told reporters.
"The terrorist was killed and we seized large amounts of explosive material, two suicide jackets and grenades.
"It appears that the terrorists were planning to carry out attacks by joining the Muharram processions today," he said.
Leghari said further investigations were being carried out in the matter.
Some suspects might have escaped and they could be behind the Abbas Town bombing which killed two people last week, the police official said.
Security was on high alert for the Muharram and Ashura processions in Karachi as around 40,000 police and paramilitary rangers patrolled the city.
Late last night, police had recovered and disarmed a bomb found near Safora Goth area on a road which is usually used for Muharram processions.
Meanwhile, federal minister for religious affairs, Syed Khursheed Shah has said that the Tehreek-e-Taliban were behind the insurgency and violence in Karachi.
Shah said that Talibanisation has raised its head in Karachi and the government is trying to curb it.
Taliban is involved in Karachi unrest, he said adding, these are not the activities of any political party activists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials