Malala is symbol of courage: Pakistan minister
New Delhi: Pakistan minister Sardar Shah Jehan Yousuf on Friday hailed teenage activist Malala Yousafzai as a "symbol of courage" and said she would be back home soon.
"Malala came out at a time when schools were shut. She is a symbol of courage," Yousuf, Pakistan`s minister for education and training, told IANS on the sidelines of an international education summit being held here.
"Her recovery is good. She will be back in Pakistan soon," he said.
Asked if Pakistan government would consider making her a brand ambassador, Yousuf said: "We will think about it only once she is back."
Malala, the 15-year-old who became a symbol of resistance of Taliban`s anti girl education stand, was shot in the head Oct 9. She came to prominence in 2009 at the age of 11, when she started writing a diary for BBC Urdu about life under the Taliban.
Malala is currently undergoing treatment in Britain and recovering. The Taliban said they had targeted her for "promoting secularism".
The two-day E9 summit, which began Friday, represents nine of the world`s most populous countries - Bangladesh, Brazil, China, Egypt, India, Indonesia, Mexico, Nigeria and Pakistan. The forum is aimed at meeting the challenges of education in these countries.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!