Malala is symbol of resistance, says Pak daily
Islamabad: Calling child peace campaigner Malala Yousufzai, who was shot at by the Taliban, a symbol of resistance, a leading Pakistani daily on Thursday sought better intelligence-gathering to thwart the designs of those waiting to once more snuff out the dreams of thousands like her.
An editorial in the Dawn said the terror attack on Malala, "who had become a symbol of resistance in Swat to the Taliban`s obscurant agenda, has been met with revulsion in Pakistan and abroad".
Malala, Pakistan`s first National Peace Award winner, was shot and seriously injured in the country`s Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province on Tuesday when she was on her way home from school.
The 14-year-old, a crusader for girls` education and an outspoken critic of the Taliban, had been receiving threats and "in that respect the attack, claimed by the Taliban, has come as no surprise - even though Malala`s family reportedly did not think that the Taliban would target her", it said.
The daily said it must be borne in mind that the militants` targets have over the years become "extremely blurred; and apart from state and military installations they have bombed hospitals, marketplaces, mosques and bazaars, killing or maiming thousands of civilians in the process".
They also routinely issue warnings to people not to support groups working on community welfare projects.
"With such a regressive thought process, their violent rejection of anything that stands for democracy, secularism, in fact the basic freedoms themselves, is only to be expected.
"In keeping with their hidebound ideology, they have atomised 2,000 schools - almost all of them catering to girls` education, to which Malala, since the time the Taliban ordered the school her father ran to be closed down, is inextricably linked," said the editorial.
The daily stressed that there is no room for complacency, and "even sporadic targeted attacks could indicate the presence of a support base for the Taliban in the area".
"Better intelligence-gathering then is needed to thwart the designs of those who are waiting to once more snuff out the dreams of thousands like Malala," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in