Malala leading TIME`s Person of the Year list
Lahore: Pakistani activist Malala Yousufzai, who was shot by the Taliban for speaking out against them and advocating female education, is currently at the top spot of TIME Magazine`s Person of the Year 2012 list, with as many as 433 people having voted in her favour.
Malala, who has gained 87% votes in her favour, has topped the list of 38 world leaders and celebrities. She has even outnumbered a lot of world leaders including US President Barack Obama and US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, reports The Nation. TIME magazine chooses a world figure every year as its Person of the Year. Voting will close on December 12 and the winner would be declared on December 14.
Malala, 15, was shot in the neck and head by the Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), while she was returning home from school on October 9. She is now recuperating at a hospital in Birmingham, UK.
Meanwhile, Foreign Policy, an American magazine, has placed Malala at the sixth spot in its top 100 Global Thinkers`` list. She was chosen ``for standing up to the Taliban, and everything they represent``, according to the magazine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video