`Malala`s book banned as she represents West, not Pakistan`
Zee Media Bureau
Islamabad: The memoir written by teen Pakistani activist Malala Yousufzai was banned from all private schools in Pakistan as she represented the West and not her native country, said the head of schools` association.
Adeeb Javedani, the president of the All Pakistan Private Schools Management Association, said he got Malala`s book banned from the libraries of its 40,000 affiliated schools as Malala was a tool of the West, she was representing the West, not Pakistan, reported the al Jazeera.
Malala`s book - "I am Malala" – which was co-authored by her and British journalist Christina Lamb, was published in October this year and it recounts Malala`s tale of her being shot at by Taliban, her life in Swat under Taliban and her new life in Britain where she now lives and studies.
The Taliban has already threatened to attack bookshops if they stocked the book.
Calling the book as "controversial", the President of All Pakistan Private Schools Federation, Mirza Kashif said that "I am Malala" will not be included in the schools` curriculum, nor will it be stocked in school libraries.
The federation represents more than 152,000 institutions across the country.
"The federation thought we should review the book, and having reviewed it we came to the decision that the book was not suitable for our children, particularly not our students," Mirza Kashif said. "In this book are many comments that are contrary to our ideology."
Pakistan`s many elite schools are members of the federation. The government has no plan to put Malala`s book on curriculum of state schools, although it is not banned.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Sheena murder case: Unfolding deceit, lies and murder!
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Osama bin Laden is alive, staying in Bahamas, claims Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?