Malala`s father gets job in Pak`s mission in UK
London: The father of Pakistani teenage activist Malala Yousafzai, who was shot in the head by Taliban for advocating girls` education, has been given a job in Pakistan`s consulate in Birmingham, where the schoolgirl has been recovering from her wounds.
Ziaududdin Yousafzai will be the head of the education section under the Head of Mission and he has been given the position for three years, which may be extended for a further two years, BBC reported quoting the Pakistan government.
15-year-old Malala is being treated in Birmingham`s Queen Elizabeth Hospital after receiving bullet wounds just above her left eye in Pakistan`s conservative Swat Valley on October 9 last year. She was flown to the hospital to receive specialist treatment.
At the time of Malala`s shooting, Ziaududdin ran a school in the Valley.
The Taliban said it shot Malala, a campaigner for girls` education, for "promoting secularism".
Doctors said the bullet grazed the teenager`s brain when it struck her just above her left eye.
Last month, Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, visited Malala at the hospital and assured Ziaududdin that his government would meet all the expenses of Malala`s treatment and the needs of the family while they were in the UK.
Ziaududdin`s employment fulfils the pledge by President Asif Ali Zardari, Pakistan government said in a statement late last night.
Malala`s case won worldwide recognition for the struggle for women`s rights in Pakistan. Time magazine had shortlisted her for its `Person of the Year` in 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof