Maldives: A nation of 1,190 coral islands
Maldives is located in the Laccadive Sea in the Indian Ocean, 400 km southwest of India`s southern coast.
It is an archipelago of 1,190 coral islands grouped in a double chain of 26 atolls oriented north-south. Only 185 islands are home to the Maldivian population. The other islands are used entirely for economic purposes of which tourism and agriculture are the most dominant.
Capital: Male; Official language: Dhivehi
Government: Presidential republic
Independence from Britain: July 26, 1965
Area: 296 km sq
Population: 394,999 (July 2011)
Religion: Islam is the official religion and open practice of any other religion is forbidden and liable to prosecution.
GDP: $2.931 billion
Per capita income: $9,065
Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa, derived from Indian rupiyaa. 100MVR=$6.54
Environmental issues: Over the last century, sea levels have risen about 20 cm. Further rises threaten the very existence of the Maldives, which have a maximum natural ground level of only 2.3 metres averaging only 1.5 metres above sea level. Eighty percent of the total land mass is only 1 metre above sea level.
By 2020, the Maldives plans to eliminate or offset all of its greenhouse gas emissions.
Tourism: Tourism accounts for 28 percent of the GDP and more than 60 percent of foreign exchange receipts. Over 90 percent of government tax revenue comes from import duties and tourism-related taxes
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani