Maldives: A nation of 1,190 coral islands
Maldives is located in the Laccadive Sea in the Indian Ocean, 400 km southwest of India`s southern coast.
It is an archipelago of 1,190 coral islands grouped in a double chain of 26 atolls oriented north-south. Only 185 islands are home to the Maldivian population. The other islands are used entirely for economic purposes of which tourism and agriculture are the most dominant.
Capital: Male; Official language: Dhivehi
Government: Presidential republic
Independence from Britain: July 26, 1965
Area: 296 km sq
Population: 394,999 (July 2011)
Religion: Islam is the official religion and open practice of any other religion is forbidden and liable to prosecution.
GDP: $2.931 billion
Per capita income: $9,065
Currency: Maldivian Rufiyaa, derived from Indian rupiyaa. 100MVR=$6.54
Environmental issues: Over the last century, sea levels have risen about 20 cm. Further rises threaten the very existence of the Maldives, which have a maximum natural ground level of only 2.3 metres averaging only 1.5 metres above sea level. Eighty percent of the total land mass is only 1 metre above sea level.
By 2020, the Maldives plans to eliminate or offset all of its greenhouse gas emissions.
Tourism: Tourism accounts for 28 percent of the GDP and more than 60 percent of foreign exchange receipts. Over 90 percent of government tax revenue comes from import duties and tourism-related taxes
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray