Maldives chaos: Commonwealth ministers to meet
Male: Commonwealth officials have said they will hold talks on a stand-off in the Maldives between President Mohammed Waheed Hassan and his predecessor Mohamed Nasheed.
They said Secretary-General Kamalesh Sharma has called for a teleconference of the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group, a group of nine foreign ministers from the 54-member bloc, within 24 hours.
The move comes after Nasheed alleged that he was forced to resign, a claim rejected by Waheed.
Nasheed has retracted his demand for his reinstatement as president but has called on for snap elections to resolve the stand-off.
A senior US diplomat backed the new authorities, saying the country was not ready for snap elections.
"The police, election commission, and judiciary are not sufficiently prepared to ensure free and fair elections," the BBC quoted US Assistant Secretary of State Robert Blake said.
He also urged all the parties to work together to resolve the political crisis in the country.
Waheed ruled out such a move pointing out that the election campaign had already started for scheduled polls for the end of 2013.
Meanwhile, UN Assistant Secretary General Oscar Fernandez-Taranco has been conducting talks with both sides to try to find a way out of the impasse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Hero launches 17 cycles, price starts Rs 7,000
- Full List: 10 wealthiest countries in the world; India at 7th place
- Father arrested for sexually abusing 2 minor girls
- New global migration map may help fight malaria
- 7th CPC: Committee of Secretaries on Allowances to meet on September 1; invites employees' unions for talks