Maldives: Clashes as new Prez visits Addu islands
Male: Supporters of Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) of ousted leader Mohamed Nasheed on Sunday clashed with police in the presence of President Mohamed Waheed Hassan, who was at his predecessor`s southern stronghold of Addu islands.
Incidents of violence were reported near the school where Waheed met with the people of Addu City last night. As Waheed was addressing the public clashes took place between MDP people and the security forces present at the venue.
While these clashes went on, MDP office at Hithadhoo was mobbed and there was huge damage to the property. MDP supporters say that were at the Hithadhoo MDP office area while security forces came and sprayed tear gas on them. But security personnel deny the allegation and said that they were first attacked while making security to the gathering at President`s meeting.
Speaking at the function to the people of Addu City, President Waheed said that he will not have mercy to anyone who damages government property and indulges in acts of violence such as the burning down of Police station and Courts at Addu City.
President Waheed last night after concluding the event of addressing the public at Hithadoo of Addu City, had to go to the island of Gan to his retreat by sea avoiding the people at land who were throwing stone to the vehicles.
Addu city, a stronghold of the ousted president, had reported widespread violence following his ouster, with mobs burning down police stations, a court and government offices in protests over the change in power.
MDP supporters had also alleged human rights violations and claimed that security forces used excessive force against them. President Waheed`s visit is significant in this light as he tries to win the confidence of the people and widen his support base.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE Board Results 2015: Class 10 Results to be declared on May 28 on cbse.nic.in