Maldives: Clashes as new Prez visits Addu islands
Male: Supporters of Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) of ousted leader Mohamed Nasheed on Sunday clashed with police in the presence of President Mohamed Waheed Hassan, who was at his predecessor`s southern stronghold of Addu islands.
Incidents of violence were reported near the school where Waheed met with the people of Addu City last night. As Waheed was addressing the public clashes took place between MDP people and the security forces present at the venue.
While these clashes went on, MDP office at Hithadhoo was mobbed and there was huge damage to the property. MDP supporters say that were at the Hithadhoo MDP office area while security forces came and sprayed tear gas on them. But security personnel deny the allegation and said that they were first attacked while making security to the gathering at President`s meeting.
Speaking at the function to the people of Addu City, President Waheed said that he will not have mercy to anyone who damages government property and indulges in acts of violence such as the burning down of Police station and Courts at Addu City.
President Waheed last night after concluding the event of addressing the public at Hithadoo of Addu City, had to go to the island of Gan to his retreat by sea avoiding the people at land who were throwing stone to the vehicles.
Addu city, a stronghold of the ousted president, had reported widespread violence following his ouster, with mobs burning down police stations, a court and government offices in protests over the change in power.
MDP supporters had also alleged human rights violations and claimed that security forces used excessive force against them. President Waheed`s visit is significant in this light as he tries to win the confidence of the people and widen his support base.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu's belief for votes? - Part II
- PM in Iran; Modi visits Gurudwara in Tehran
- India's tour of Zimbabwe and West Indies: BCCI selection committee to announce squads today
- Narendra Modi in Iran: PM invokes India's 'civilisational ties', aims to boost economic, cultural partnership
- IPL 2016, Match 56: Virat Kohli's RCB earn playoffs spot, to face Gujarat Lions in Qualifier 1
- Jorge Lorenzo pips Marc Marquez to Italian MotoGP win
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg celebrates his wedding anniversary in a 'musical' way! - See pic