Maldives: Clashes as new Prez visits Addu islands
Male: Supporters of Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) of ousted leader Mohamed Nasheed on Sunday clashed with police in the presence of President Mohamed Waheed Hassan, who was at his predecessor`s southern stronghold of Addu islands.
Incidents of violence were reported near the school where Waheed met with the people of Addu City last night. As Waheed was addressing the public clashes took place between MDP people and the security forces present at the venue.
While these clashes went on, MDP office at Hithadhoo was mobbed and there was huge damage to the property. MDP supporters say that were at the Hithadhoo MDP office area while security forces came and sprayed tear gas on them. But security personnel deny the allegation and said that they were first attacked while making security to the gathering at President`s meeting.
Speaking at the function to the people of Addu City, President Waheed said that he will not have mercy to anyone who damages government property and indulges in acts of violence such as the burning down of Police station and Courts at Addu City.
President Waheed last night after concluding the event of addressing the public at Hithadoo of Addu City, had to go to the island of Gan to his retreat by sea avoiding the people at land who were throwing stone to the vehicles.
Addu city, a stronghold of the ousted president, had reported widespread violence following his ouster, with mobs burning down police stations, a court and government offices in protests over the change in power.
MDP supporters had also alleged human rights violations and claimed that security forces used excessive force against them. President Waheed`s visit is significant in this light as he tries to win the confidence of the people and widen his support base.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA