Maldives court refuses to try Mohamed Nasheed
Male: A Maldives court on Monday refused to review its order against trying former president Mohamed Nasheed in an illegal detention of a senior judge, saying that the decision must be taken by a higher court.
Hulhumale Magistrate Court`s response came after Prosecutor General`s office in a letter requested the Court to review the decision of its refusal to hold the trial on the case filed by the State against Nasheed and others.
The court stressed that the decision was taken by a judge of the court that it had no jurisdiction to hold the trial. It added that the decision whether the court can hold the trial or not can only be decided by a higher court.
The Hulhumale Magistrate Court had rejected the case on the claims that the court had no jurisdiction to entertain the case under Article 66 and 69 of the Courts Act.
Nasheed was charged earlier this month for ordering the illegal arrest of criminal court judge that finally led to his ouster in February this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NASA inflates spare room in space
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe