Maldives court refuses to try Mohamed Nasheed
Male: A Maldives court on Monday refused to review its order against trying former president Mohamed Nasheed in an illegal detention of a senior judge, saying that the decision must be taken by a higher court.
Hulhumale Magistrate Court`s response came after Prosecutor General`s office in a letter requested the Court to review the decision of its refusal to hold the trial on the case filed by the State against Nasheed and others.
The court stressed that the decision was taken by a judge of the court that it had no jurisdiction to hold the trial. It added that the decision whether the court can hold the trial or not can only be decided by a higher court.
The Hulhumale Magistrate Court had rejected the case on the claims that the court had no jurisdiction to entertain the case under Article 66 and 69 of the Courts Act.
Nasheed was charged earlier this month for ordering the illegal arrest of criminal court judge that finally led to his ouster in February this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi