Maldives ex-Prez Mohamed Nasheed says Waheed to quit
Zee Media Bureau/Supriya Jha
Male: Accusing President Mohamed Waheed of trying to capture power by sending the country into a “constitutional void”, Maldives presidential candidate Mohamed Nasheed has urged him to quit.
Maldives is at the centre of a political crisis after the police on Saturday halted the presidential election.
Earlier the Supreme Court had annulled September 7 polls in which Nasheed had emerged victorious.
"We believe that the only prudent way forward, and possible solution for the situation, is for Waheed to resign today and the Speaker of Parliament to take over government until November 11, or before the election," Nasheed said on Sunday.
Blaming the current President Waheed for obstructing the polls, Nasheed said, "It has become very evident that they`ve obstructed these polls, and very evident that the game they are trying to play, to take this country into and unconstitutional void, and then capture long term, unelected military power."
Nasheed had last month garnered 45.45 per cent of the vote and thus was set to face a run-off against Abdullah Yameen on September 28, which was postponed by the apex court last month after a plea by Jumhooree Party (JP) which stood third.
The Jumhooree Party plea alleged discrepancies in the polling and demanded that the results be annulled. –
Maldives has been in a state of political instability since Feb 2012 when Nasheed was ousted and was replaced by Mohammed Waheed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’