Maldives: Gayoom`s daughter in Foreign Ministry
Male: Maldives` new President Mohamed Waheed on Sunday expanded his cabinet and gave the key Foreign Ministry portfolio to a daughter of former autocratic leader Maumoon Gayoom amid demands by ousted leader Mohammed Nasheed for fixing an early date for polls.
Waheed appointed Sheikh Mohamed Shaheem Ali Saeed as the Minister of Islamic Affairs and Mohamed Muizzu as the Minister of Housing and Environment. He also appointed Dhunya Maumoon, daughter of former
president Maumoon A Gayoom, as the Minister of State for Foreign Affairs. The post of Foreign Minister still remains vacant.
Meanwhile, a Commonwealth ministerial mission, which is here to probe into the ousting of Nasheed yesterday met new President Waheed and discussed the events that led to the political unrest in the country. The meeting was held at the President`s Office. Discussions at the meeting focused on the measures being taken to resolve the current political situation. The President assured the group full support and cooperation in carrying out their investigations.
The team from the Commonwealth Ministerial Action Group, the 54-nation organisation`s democracy watchdog, arrived here to investigate former president Nasheed`s exit. Waheed hoped that the action group would will make good and fair report. Waheed told them that the government was fully committed to resolve the issues, within the limits of the Constitution and law.
On the other hand, Ibrahim Didi, the president of Nasheed`s MDP, has said that he will not participate at the rallies or the gatherings now being held in the name of the party as it is not passed by any of the party organs.
He also said that the gathering at February 17 was passed by the council of MDP. Didi noted that it was strictly observed by the Male` City Council that the gathering of any sort should not go on late night as it will be a disturbance
to the general public.
Meanwhile, last night here, a 21-year-old youth who was stabbed and was receiving treatment at the Indira Gandhi Memorial Hospital, succumbed to his injuries.
He was stabbed when he was passing by the Finance Ministry building. In another incident, a 17-year old boy was beaten last night and is receiving treatment at IGM Hospital. A 43-year old Maldivian and a foreign expatriate were also stabbed last night in the capital, Male.
It is yet not known if the attacks were related to the ongoing political disturbances at the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday