Maldives HC suspends all trials over Judge`s arrest
Male: A day after the Maldivian High Court said it will look into the legitimacy of lower court bench trying former President Mohamed Nasheed, Hulhumale Magistrate Court today suspened all trials pertaining to the arrest and subsequent detention of Chief Criminal Judge.
High Court had yesterday stayed temporarily the trial against Nasheed at the Hulhumale Court until it can decide over the legitimacy of the lower court`s bench.
The temporary injunction was granted after Nasheed asked the High Court to declare the composition of the Hulhumale Court bench unlawful.
The Court confirmed today that the trials of all five people, including Nasheed charged with Judge Abdulla Mohamed` arrest had been suspended, Haveeru daily reported.
In addition to the former President, former Defence Minister Tholhath Ibrahim Kaleyfaanu, former Chief of Defence Force Major General Moosa Ali Jaleel, Brigadier General retired Ibrahim Mohamed Didi and Colonel Mohamed Ziyad have been charged with arresting Judge Abdulla Mohamed.
The Hulhumale Court was scheduled to hear the matter tomorrow. The arrest of the Judge Mohamed had let to protests from various sections in Maldives that eventually led to the ouster of Nasheed.
The composition of the three Judge bench of the Hulhumale Court by the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) has been up for much debate recently and is also being probed by the Parliament`s Independent Bodies Committee.
Opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) has maintained that Nasheed`s trial is a "politically motivated sham" designed to disqualify him from the upcoming presidential election slated for September 7.
If convicted and sentenced to more than one year in prison, Nasheed would be barred from leading MDP into the presidential polls.
Meanwhile, judges of the High Court have filed complaint with the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) against Chief Judge Ahmed Shareef over his decision to temporarily suspend Nasheed`s trial.
Moving the JSC, the judicial watchdog here that had set up the bench trying Nasheed in an abuse of power case, the judges of the High Court said the order signed by the Chief Judge had been issued while the case "had not even been registered at the Court nor was it discussed with the other judges", the Haveeru reported.
"It is just an administrative issue. Apparently, the judges were not happy with the way the case was consulted with other judges.
"Hence, they have filed a complaint with the JSC which looks after the administration of the judiciary," a government source said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Bihar Intermediate Result 2015 declared