Maldives: Nasheed rules out joining new govt
Male: Ousted president Mohamed Nasheed`s Maldivian Democratic Party on Monday ruled out any participation in the new unity government but offered to join conditional talks with the new President to end the political crisis.
In a statement, the MDP has made it clear that the party will not participate in the National Unification Government, which was formed under new President Mohamed Waheed Hassan. The MDP, however, said that it can join the reconciliation talks to end the political crisis in the country if six members of the new government, who allegedly participated in ousting Nasheed on February 07, were dropped.
The party identified them as Minister of Defence and National Security Mohamed Nazim, Minister of Home Affairs Mohamed Jameel Ahmed, Minister of State for Home Affairs Mohamed Fayaz, Chief of Staff of MNDF Major General Ahmed Shiyam and Commissioner of Police Abdulla Riyaz.
The statement also said that being the largest single party, the MDP decided to help the nation on resolving the political crisis faced at present by dialogue.
Meanwhile, Maldives Prosecutor General Ahmed Muizzu has said that legally a body can investigate the matter of Nasheed`s resignation, as the former president claims that he was forced to do so unduly and inappropriately.
Muizzu said the assumption of presidency by Nasheed`s Deputy Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik would be perfectly valid. "According to Article 121 (A) of the Constitution, if the position of the President becomes vacant due to any reason, his Deputy would have to step in and fulfil the vacancy, and become the new President," Muizzu said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price