Maldives: Nasheed rules out joining new govt
Male: Ousted president Mohamed Nasheed`s Maldivian Democratic Party on Monday ruled out any participation in the new unity government but offered to join conditional talks with the new President to end the political crisis.
In a statement, the MDP has made it clear that the party will not participate in the National Unification Government, which was formed under new President Mohamed Waheed Hassan. The MDP, however, said that it can join the reconciliation talks to end the political crisis in the country if six members of the new government, who allegedly participated in ousting Nasheed on February 07, were dropped.
The party identified them as Minister of Defence and National Security Mohamed Nazim, Minister of Home Affairs Mohamed Jameel Ahmed, Minister of State for Home Affairs Mohamed Fayaz, Chief of Staff of MNDF Major General Ahmed Shiyam and Commissioner of Police Abdulla Riyaz.
The statement also said that being the largest single party, the MDP decided to help the nation on resolving the political crisis faced at present by dialogue.
Meanwhile, Maldives Prosecutor General Ahmed Muizzu has said that legally a body can investigate the matter of Nasheed`s resignation, as the former president claims that he was forced to do so unduly and inappropriately.
Muizzu said the assumption of presidency by Nasheed`s Deputy Mohamed Waheed Hassan Manik would be perfectly valid. "According to Article 121 (A) of the Constitution, if the position of the President becomes vacant due to any reason, his Deputy would have to step in and fulfil the vacancy, and become the new President," Muizzu said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured