Maldives Parl accepts proposal against Nasheed
Male: Maldives parliament has adopted a `decree` that if passed as a resolution could lead to the prosecution of former president Mohamed Nasheed for allegedly violating the constitution.
The decree was proposed by MP Abdulla Jabir of the Jumhooree Party and it was accepted by a vote of 39 MP`s from among the 66 present.
A heated debate followed in the `Majlis` over how to select a seven-member parliamentary committee to study the decree.
An MP in the Maldivian parliament can submit a decree on the floor of the house which when approved by the majority, allows for a talk or discussion and a move to study it.
Following its perusal and discussion at a parliamentary select committee, it is returned to the parliament for a vote, and if approved it becomes a resolution.
A parliamentary sub-committee will now study the decree regarding Nasheed, and if the Parliament endorses it as a resolution it may end up at the Supreme Court.
Nasheed might then be tried for alleged violations of the constitution.
Some cases have already been filed against Nasheed with the Prosecutor General by Human Rights Commission of Maldives and the Maldives Police Service regarding the wrongful arrest of a judge during his tenure as president.
The allegations are being investigated before the prosecutor general gives agreen light.
If he is tried and convicted, Nasheed will be barred from contesting the presidential election.
Home Minister Mohamed Jameel Ahmed has already claimed that Nasheed will be sent behind bars for life for alleged violations committed during his term in office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what