Maldives Supreme Court delays presidential elections
Male: The Supreme Court of the Maldives today delayed the final round of presidential elections due this weekend following a legal challenge, threatening more political instability in the Indian Ocean archipelago.
"We order the Elections Commission and other relevant state institutions to delay the second round of the presidential election scheduled for 28 September 2013 until the Supreme Court issues a verdict in this case," read a ruling from the court late Monday.
The court has been holding hearings in a case filed by the Jumhooree Party, which demanded that the results of the first round on September 7 be annulled because of alleged discrepancies.
The election, the first round of which was found to be free and fair by international observers, was seen as a test for the young democracy a year and a half after the violent ousting of the country`s first democratically elected president, Mohamed Nasheed.
Nasheed won the first round comfortably with 45.45 per cent of the vote, but faced a run-off contest on Saturday against Abdullah Yameen, the half brother of the islands` former autocrat Maumoon Abdul Gayoom.
"The Supreme Court has gone against all common sense, international opinion and the majority of the country without any evidence to do so," an MP from Nasheed`s Maldivian Democratic Party, Hamed Abdul Ghafoor, said.
Nasheed resigned in February last year after a mutiny by police which he branded a coup, allegedly orchestrated by Gayoom, who ruled the honeymoon islands for three decades.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Importance of showing gratitude Part IV
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat'
- PM Modi addresses the nation in 20th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat' Part II
- Selfie time! Alia Bhatt freezes frame with Shah Rukh Khan and Gauri Shinde's team – Pic inside
- If Priyanka Gandhi takes charge of Congress then BJP will face tough challenge: Ramdev
- 'Jai Hind' – this is how Air India will wish passengers now!
- Government vows to crack down on super-rich tax evaders
- Watch: Dwayne DJ Bravo gives rib-tickling sneak-peek into upcoming episode of 'The Kapil Sharma Show'!