`Maldivian legislature undermined democracy`
Colombo: Transparency Maldives, an independent watchdog, has criticised the country`s legislature for passing certain legislations which it said limit certain fundamental rights and undermine good governance and the democratic system.
Certain legislation passed and decisions made by the Maldives legislature are aimed at limiting fundamental rights while undermining good governance and the democratic system in the Maldives, the NGO said.
It also expressed concern with the "loss of transparency" due to the decision to conduct no-confidence motions through secret ballot.
"Amendments to the rules of the People`s Majlis to adopt secret voting on matters of no confidence and impeachment threatens institutional transparency and accountability."
"The fundamental rights that will be curtailed include the right to freedom of expression, right to peaceful assembly, media freedom, the right to association and the right to establish political parties.”
The Transparency Maldives and Maldivian Democracy Network asked the People`s Majlis (legislature) to review and revise the aforementioned bills and decisions, to comply with the Constitution of the Maldives, international democratic norms and principles, and human rights standards, a statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested
- Mohammad Kaif takes a subtle dig at Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad after he hit Air India official with slippers