Maldivian president asks lawmakers to find solution if no successor by Nov 11
Male: Maldivian president Mohamed Waheed on Thursday turned to Parliament to find a solution to any legal issues that will arise if a new president is not elected by the November 11 constitutional deadline. In a letter to the Speaker, President Waheed requested the Parliament to take initiative in finding a solution to any legal issues that will arise if his successor is not elected by the end of his term.
The President noted that if the presidential election is to be held on the dates set by the Elections Commission, there was a possibility of such a situation, Haveeru Daily reported.
Elections commission has announced November 9 for the presidential re-vote with a runoff on November 16. The official results is set to be announced on November 12, according to the polls calendar issued by the commission. Meanwhile, opposition Maldivian Democratic Party (MDP) parliamentarian Hamid Abdul Ghafoor has submitted a bill outlining a transitional arrangement if a new president is not elected by November 11.
According to the bill, under such a circumstance, the powers of the president and the vice president will be transferred to the Speaker of the Parliament.
If the Speaker is unable to assume the responsibility, presidential powers will be transferred to the deputy speaker. The bill also states if the deputy speaker is unable, the responsibility will be given to a lawmaker appointed through a resolution passed by the Parliament.
In accordance with elections law, the president elect must be sworn in to office within 18 hours after the official results are publicised and gazetted by the Elections Commission.
The five-year presidential term will begin from the date the president-elect is sworn in to office, the bill said. Hamid said that the bill has been submitted to avoid constitutional and legal limbo if a president is not elected by the end of November 11.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!