Maldivian Prez Waheed to visit India on May 11
Male: Maldivian President Mohamed Waheed will fly to India on Friday on his first foreign trip abroad to meet the top Indian leadership, during which he will discuss key bilateral issues including defence cooperation.
As he cements his government`s position following a tumultuous takeover in February, Waheed will hold crucial talks with Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, President Pratibha Patil and External Affairs Minister S M Krishna in New Delhi.
A senior Maldivian government source told PTI that the President would leave Male on May 11.
"The defence cooperation between Maldives and India would be a key issue during the president`s visit," the source said.
Waheed, the then vice president, had succeeded Mohamed Nasheed as President, who was ousted on February 7 after weeks of public protests following his action to arrest a judge.
Nasheed claimed he was removed in a "coup" and his party has urged an independent investigation into the events of February 7.
India sent its Foreign Secretary Ranjan Mathai to defuse tensions immediately after the upheaval and under a deal brokered by him the government announced that it will hold early elections.
However, the Maldivian Democratic Party`s call for early elections to end the political impasse has been resisted by Waheed`s administration.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam