Maldivian Prez`s brother quits, denounces new regi
Male: President Mohamed Waheed Hassan`s
brother, the Deputy High Commissioner of the Maldives to the
UK, has resigned and asked his brother to follow suit,
describing his new government as "illegitimate".
"I have resigned from my post of Deputy High Commissioner
as of now. I have resigned because I cannot serve a regime
that has brought down the democratically elected government of
my country in a coup d`etat," said Naushad Waheed Hassan told
reporters in London.
"Some of you may question why I have not resigned before.
When the coup was unfolding in the early hours of February 7,
my initial reaction was to resign immediately.
However, as you all know, the leader of the current
regime, Mohamed Waheed Hassan, is my own brother. So I decided
to take time to make my own enquiries before I came to a
conclusion. And it is with a heavy heart that I have to say
that this is indeed an illegitimate government and I cannot be
party to it."
Meanwhile, when asked about his brother`s resignation and
denouncement of the his regime, President Waheed said, "I
didn`t appoint my brother to the High Commission. He was
appointed by the former President and so you know where his
loyalties are. And so if he has decided to quit, I respect his
"This is a small country and so you will find that in a
house, there are people who belong to different political
parties. So it does not surprise me".
But when asked on the personal accusations made by his
brother, the President said, "I have no comments".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day