Malik and Pak envoy to India discuss Mumbai commission
Islamabad: Interior Minister Rehman Malik
on Saturday directed Pakistan`s envoy to New Delhi to inform the
Indian government about the planned visit of a Pakistani
judicial commission that will interview key persons linked to
the probe into the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks.
Malik conveyed the direction to High Commissioner to India
Shahid Malik during a meeting, said an official statement.
Malik and the envoy discussed matters related to the visit
of the judicial commission.
"The minister also directed the High Commissioner to
inform the Indian government on the planned judicial
commission visit to India," the statement said.
The statement did not give any details about the members
of the proposed commission or the date for its planned visit.
Malik conveyed a goodwill massage to his Indian
counterpart P Chidambaram.
Malik and the envoy also discussed the follow-up of the
Home Secretary-level meeting between Pakistan and India, the
statement said without giving details.
In a related development, the Rawalpindi-based
anti-terrorism court conducting the trial of seven suspects
charged with involvement in the Mumbai attacks today adjourned
the case for a week as a higher court is yet to decide on key
accused Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi`s petition against the judge.
Lakhvi, the operations commander of the Lashkar-e-Taiba,
recently filed a petition in the Lahore High Court asking that
the case against him in the anti-terrorism court be
transferred from Rawalpindi to Lahore.
Lakhvi said he had no confidence in the anti-terrorism
court`s judge, whom he claimed was being influenced by the
Anti-terrorism court Judge Shahid Rafique adjourned the
case till November 5 without any proceedings today as the High
Court has reserved its verdict on Lakhvi`s petition.
The prosecution had filed an application in the High Court
seeking the dismissal of Lakhvi`s petition.
Lahore High Court Chief Justice Ijaz Chaudhry reserved his
verdict on October 17 after hearing arguments by Lakhvi`s
counsel and prosecution lawyers.
It is not known when the High Court will give its ruling
on the matter.
Interior Minister said last year that it was necessary for
the judicial commission to visit India and interview a
magistrate and police officers who were involved in the
investigation of the Mumbai attacks.
The testimony of the Indian officials is needed to proceed
with the prosecution of the Pakistani suspects, he had then
The anti-terrorism court has allowed the government to
form the judicial commission but it is yet to be constituted
by the Interior Ministry.
There have been no proceedings in the anti-terrorism court
for the past few weeks as defence lawyers have filed several
petitions that the prosecution says are aimed at delaying the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat wave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan Lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India