Mamata snubs Raigunj, says AIIMS-like hospital possible at Siliguri
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday rejected the Congress` demand for setting up a hospital on the lines of AIIMS at Raigunj in Uttar Dinajpur district.
"Land is not available there and it is my government`s principled stand of not acquiring land from farmers by force," Banerjee said during a meeting with state health officials here.
The chief minister said land was ready at Kalyani in Nadia district where the hospital could come up.
Banerjee said instead of Raiganj, it could also come up at places like Siliguri, Coochbehar, Jalpaiguri, Kaliagunj or Gangarampur.
Banerjee`s bete noire Congress leader and union minister Deepa Dasmunshi, MP from the area, has been demanding the hospital at Raigunj and has criticised the Trinamool Congress government for its opposition to the Centre`s suggestion.
She has said that the state government was acting irrationally and alleged that it was unnecessarily delaying the project`s implementation even though the Centre was in favour of setting it up at Raigunj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Mumbai: Woman missing after falling in manhole
- Mann Ki Baat: PM recalls dark days of 1975 Emergency, says democracy is our strength
- Mann Ki Baat: Conserve every drop of water, says PM
- PM Modi launches 'Smart City Project' in Pune
- Iraqi army declares Fallujah fully liberated from Islamic State
- Priyanka Chopra opens up about her Hollywood debut 'Baywatch'! – Read more
- How al Qaeda radicalises youth and trains them, reveals arrested militant leader
- Government allows airlines to import up to 18 year old planes
- Pampore terror attack: Centre to send committee to find reason behind security lapse