Mamata snubs Raigunj, says AIIMS-like hospital possible at Siliguri
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday rejected the Congress` demand for setting up a hospital on the lines of AIIMS at Raigunj in Uttar Dinajpur district.
"Land is not available there and it is my government`s principled stand of not acquiring land from farmers by force," Banerjee said during a meeting with state health officials here.
The chief minister said land was ready at Kalyani in Nadia district where the hospital could come up.
Banerjee said instead of Raiganj, it could also come up at places like Siliguri, Coochbehar, Jalpaiguri, Kaliagunj or Gangarampur.
Banerjee`s bete noire Congress leader and union minister Deepa Dasmunshi, MP from the area, has been demanding the hospital at Raigunj and has criticised the Trinamool Congress government for its opposition to the Centre`s suggestion.
She has said that the state government was acting irrationally and alleged that it was unnecessarily delaying the project`s implementation even though the Centre was in favour of setting it up at Raigunj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction - Part II
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery