Mamata snubs Raigunj, says AIIMS-like hospital possible at Siliguri
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Friday rejected the Congress` demand for setting up a hospital on the lines of AIIMS at Raigunj in Uttar Dinajpur district.
"Land is not available there and it is my government`s principled stand of not acquiring land from farmers by force," Banerjee said during a meeting with state health officials here.
The chief minister said land was ready at Kalyani in Nadia district where the hospital could come up.
Banerjee said instead of Raiganj, it could also come up at places like Siliguri, Coochbehar, Jalpaiguri, Kaliagunj or Gangarampur.
Banerjee`s bete noire Congress leader and union minister Deepa Dasmunshi, MP from the area, has been demanding the hospital at Raigunj and has criticised the Trinamool Congress government for its opposition to the Centre`s suggestion.
She has said that the state government was acting irrationally and alleged that it was unnecessarily delaying the project`s implementation even though the Centre was in favour of setting it up at Raigunj.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez