Man attempts self-immolation in anti-Sri Lanka protests
Chennai: Forty-one-year-old Mani of Cuddalore district Monday suffered serious burn injuries after he attempted self-immolation, demanding action against Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa for war crimes, police said.
Speaking to IANS over phone, a police official in Cuddalore district said: "Mani, father of three children, attempted self-immolation at the collectorate shouting slogans against the Sri Lankan president. He was shifted to a hospital in Chennai after initially being admitted to a government hospital in Cuddalore."
The police official said Mani has suffered serious burn injuries.
Meanwhile, MDMK general secretary Vaiko and several other pro-Tamil groups were arrested by police for picketing the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commission here, demanding a probe against the Sri Lankan government for war crimes.
The protestors also demanded that India support the US-sponsored resolution at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC).
According to police, around 400 protestors were arrested.
Lawyers in Madras High Court here and the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court boycotted the court proceedings, expressing support to the cause of Lankan Tamils.
Meanwhile, the DMK-supported Tamil Eelam Supporters` Organisation (TESO) will picket the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commission here Tuesday, on a day when the US is expected to bring its resolution against the island nation at UNHRC.
Indian political parties are demanding action against Sri Lanka for its alleged war crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Heatwave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1400
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- First look: Aamir Khan joins Shah Rukh to promote Salman's ‘Bajrangi Bhaijaan’
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly