Man attempts self-immolation in anti-Sri Lanka protests
Chennai: Forty-one-year-old Mani of Cuddalore district Monday suffered serious burn injuries after he attempted self-immolation, demanding action against Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa for war crimes, police said.
Speaking to IANS over phone, a police official in Cuddalore district said: "Mani, father of three children, attempted self-immolation at the collectorate shouting slogans against the Sri Lankan president. He was shifted to a hospital in Chennai after initially being admitted to a government hospital in Cuddalore."
The police official said Mani has suffered serious burn injuries.
Meanwhile, MDMK general secretary Vaiko and several other pro-Tamil groups were arrested by police for picketing the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commission here, demanding a probe against the Sri Lankan government for war crimes.
The protestors also demanded that India support the US-sponsored resolution at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC).
According to police, around 400 protestors were arrested.
Lawyers in Madras High Court here and the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court boycotted the court proceedings, expressing support to the cause of Lankan Tamils.
Meanwhile, the DMK-supported Tamil Eelam Supporters` Organisation (TESO) will picket the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commission here Tuesday, on a day when the US is expected to bring its resolution against the island nation at UNHRC.
Indian political parties are demanding action against Sri Lanka for its alleged war crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'