Man attempts self-immolation in anti-Sri Lanka protests
Chennai: Forty-one-year-old Mani of Cuddalore district Monday suffered serious burn injuries after he attempted self-immolation, demanding action against Sri Lankan President Mahinda Rajapaksa for war crimes, police said.
Speaking to IANS over phone, a police official in Cuddalore district said: "Mani, father of three children, attempted self-immolation at the collectorate shouting slogans against the Sri Lankan president. He was shifted to a hospital in Chennai after initially being admitted to a government hospital in Cuddalore."
The police official said Mani has suffered serious burn injuries.
Meanwhile, MDMK general secretary Vaiko and several other pro-Tamil groups were arrested by police for picketing the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commission here, demanding a probe against the Sri Lankan government for war crimes.
The protestors also demanded that India support the US-sponsored resolution at the United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC).
According to police, around 400 protestors were arrested.
Lawyers in Madras High Court here and the Madurai Bench of the Madras High Court boycotted the court proceedings, expressing support to the cause of Lankan Tamils.
Meanwhile, the DMK-supported Tamil Eelam Supporters` Organisation (TESO) will picket the Sri Lankan Deputy High Commission here Tuesday, on a day when the US is expected to bring its resolution against the island nation at UNHRC.
Indian political parties are demanding action against Sri Lanka for its alleged war crimes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price